2/28/2008

They said it couldn't be done...

She believed it was an impossible task. But tonight, after teaching a rowdy bunch of college students, Joanna came home and completed a qulit square in less than 2 hours!

I wish I could show you. It's cute and perky. Maybe you won't even notice that the lines are not perfectly straight, or that the frog in the middle (hey - I think the square now has a name!) could be slightly better centered, but it's done! It helped that I had planned it out completely last week, and that the log cabin design is completely within my ability range: all straight lines. And once I got the technique, it all just went.

One of the hardest things about sewing projects for me is that the actual time spent sewing on the machine is minimal. Mostly it's just cutting and pinning and ripping and measuring. Sewing the seams is the fastest part. And then there's the fear of cutting the fabric. (One of my pieces went missing tonight. Thank goodness I had just enough of that fabric to make another piece. That yellow strip will turn up again, I just know it.) It's such a decisive thing to do. What if you've measured wrong and now don't have enough? But the worst thing for me is the precision required for the square not to look bad. I'm not even aiming for perfect corners, I just don't want to be embarassed by my squares.

Overall verdict: I think I'm sticking with log cabin squares for all time. Maybe a snail's trail thrown in every now and again. And if I feel adventurous again someday, I'll try a fan square...

No comments: