2/19/2008

From houses to log cabins...

The quilt square, that is...

Maybe it's no wonder that in my current home-making frame of mind when I have to make a quilt square, I choose the log cabin pattern.

Actually, I have wanted to make a log cabin square for a long time. It was on my list with fan squares and snail's trail and a few others. And it has straight lines, so I think it should be possible, even for me.

The more I make quilt squares, the more I realize I am not a quilter. They require a precision that is beyond me. With paper you can nudge and trim, and if you have to redo, it's not such a big deal. But quilt squares involve the big, bad sewing machine, and tons of time to get one seam right, and almost very little actual sewing in the end. And you have to actually cut fabric, which is the scariest part of all.

I want to keep participating in community quilts and not be embarassed by what I make. I think I'll continue to stick to simple squares and straight lines! But then I'll mostly stick to rubber stamping...


No comments: