2/05/2008

Valentine count-down

The days continue to be long and full of upheaval. The English Scottish Ball is mere days away. I think I told people to breathe, use command language and add pauses to their talk throughs more times than I ever thought possible.

House. Ugh. I drove by the smaller house tonight, and though I only looked from the outside, was not pleased to find no parking on the street. And though I am still really eager to see it, well, what if I like the bigger house better???

And I have a bunch of non-work work to do, and I have to be in Harrisburg teaching all day tomorrow which requires dressing professionally, and having a voice, which I don't really, and, and and...
And what I really want to talk about is crafts and Valentines. I was worried this year. I had a bunch of images, but no good idea I could run with - just disjointed thoughts that were being troublesome. I think what it comes down to for me is that I need time on my own to play and come up with that idea, that I can then reproduce during a party. I need to have all of my stamps around, and all of the papers and tools, and not be in company. The latter I think is key. I feel equally distracted by other people's ideas, and at the same time pressured to produce something wonderful. When I'm on my own, I can work, and not worry about how fast I'm coming up with something, how many ideas end up in the trash, or anything else.

And sure enough, when I sat down to play with the few images and see what I could make out of them, almost none were salvageable. But then, after flipping through my stamp catalog, and thinking about some of the ideas I was getting out, there it was - this year's valentine. Right there. Easy, and red, and now finished!
One of my other challenges this year was to make valentines I could sell. It turns out there there are a ton of rubber stamp angel companies who know you're not going to make much, if anything, selling stuff with their images on it. So my cards are quite saleable this year, and in fact, I think I've sold a few.

Wanna buy a greeting card? I do birthdays, weddings, bar mitzvahs...

Stay tuned for electronic images of this year's valentines.

No comments: