2/27/2008

Recovering

So maybe I am going to get a house after all...

The disaster of yesterday was that I was told at 4pm that I would have to withdraw money from my 401k to prove that I had enough money in my own name to merit a mortgage. This, of course, opened the floodgates... Was I allowed to take out a loan, what were the fees, how soon can this happen, will my employer approve of the loan. And above all, why was I being forced to take out a loan when the funds needed are in place and already in my bank account!

Because they can. Because the market is so volatile and mortgages are such a mess that the companies want to be extra special sure that they will get their money. And what I most fear: that obstacles are par for the course because buying houses is for other people, like being partnered, getting married and having children are for other people, and not me. I can witness, and even partake in other people's joy, but it will never be mine.

Or not. The house part anyway. By the end of the day today, my mortgage person tried a different tack. And lo, I don't have to move any money from my 401k. Tomorrow we will finalize rates and be done with this foolishness, or at least further along.

Don't ever buy a house by yourself, unless maybe you have too much money on your hands. Or unless your hair is already grey.

No comments: