2/11/2008

Playing catch-up

It felt so renegade to go two days without posting... But life is settling down just a tad. Let's see, where to begin...

Friday night was meant to be a night at home - making my apartment look like a reasonable human lived there, cleaning up crafts stuff from the Valentine party, sorting through the never ending but reasonably up-to-date mounds of paper. But no, George called me and offered to buy me a drink, which turned into dinner and (I no longer turn down any free food), and then two of my Swarthmore kiddos came by for tea. A very nice celebretory evening that did not include much in the way of attention to the household.

Saturday morning brought a caller's meeting (yes, in fact it was my idea to schedule the meeting on ES Ball day), followed by errands followed by scant hours at home pre-ball. I did manage to reorganize the stamps and get them properly stowed (which takes a stupidly long time, but I now will be able to find them again), attack some of the piles, and oh yeah, pick out a dress to wear and iron same.

Saturday night was the Swarthmore English Scottish ball, which is one of my favorite events all year. Yes, I am working the event, but over all, I am overwhelmed with pride in my children. They pulled it together, and pulled it off. They gave stellar talk-throughs. The tea was plentiful, the music was great, and the hall was packed, even in the 2nd half. And I had a lovely waltz at the end...
I could instantly tell that my mood had shifted because of the house. Outside of my delight in this prospective house, the weight of the decision was no longer there, and I could move on to the next phase of practical planning, intense excitement, mingled with some fear about the lage process to come. But overwhelmingly, I am so thrilled. I am looking forward to this next chapter...

The practical house news... I handed over the first check to my realtor - the down payment towards my down payment. We still don't have an official signed contract, so I haven't gone ahead with making arrangements for insurance and inspection. I hope it happens tomorrow.

At J&K's post-ball brunch, in talking to people about the house, Jill mentioned that they have furniture, including a stove (albeit electric) I could have. Hallelujah!!! This will be wonderful. If that all works, I will put my loveseat upstairs in the front room (I think I'm settling on that for an upstairs parlor or somesuch), and move the futon upstairs as a guest bed. I want to see the furniture before I agree to take it, and Dan will help me figure out if I can fit it through the doorway.

I'm hoping that Mom and Deb and Eileen can come down this weekend to see the house. They can all come, but the only thing is whether we can get in or not. I don't know if that's now taboo. I've asked the realtor. I also want to go in and do some derious measuring and figuring out where I want to put stuff and which room should be what in the near term - which room should be the master bedroom, should I have a separate craft room from the office/parlour, which room should be the guest room. This is all subject to change as I start to figure out what changes I want to make - bathroom on the 3rd floor, dressing room for the master bedroom, closets that fit normal sized hangers, larger 2nd floor bathroom... Who knows? Dreaming is fun!

My future bookshelves...


I'll need lots of advice on furniture and artwork placement and possible wall colors, so plan on coming over lots!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you need a washer and dryer? We have an extra of each. Let's talk!

Joy said...

Joy would LOVE to run around an empty house, and I would love to consult!! I wish I could say we have extra anything to offer you, but we don't. :-) Craigslist!!!