2/15/2008

In love with house books...

Well, I almost got this post in before midnight...

Happy Valentine's Day!!! It's still, inexplicably a favorite holiday of mine. Mom, with all her wonderousness, once again managed to make her valentine chocolate and note arrive exactly on the day! She's amazing. And then while I was teaching class I got attacked by a ninja valentine. It was very exciting!!!

After class I treated myself to coffee at Borders. I had good motives though - mostly that it's easier for me to get work done there where there are tables and chairs, and space to work. And I did indeed get two of the things on my list attended to. The other questionable motive is that I love to be surrounded by books and in fact look forward to the next free evening I have where I can sit with a coffee and a pile of books and magazines next to me and just browse and leave empty handed. It's like a library, but with a glossier selection. Friday week, maybe...

And what was I looking at in the last 15 minutes before they closed? Admittedly, Old House Journal. I didn't buy it, but I wanted to. They had an article on tiles, and a great fireplace design, and...

Oh, I have this feeling that house books are going to take over. Actually, architecture books are closer to what I am looking for. I really want to do some research into houses like the one I'm buying - urban townhouses from about 1915 (that's the year I'm settling on, because a) I think it's right, and b) that's the year my grandmother was born, so I like the connection) so I can see how they were furnished, what styles of furniture were in then, how were the rooms arranged, what was on the walls and floor, what was painted, and what was papered, how were the windows treated, etc.

It's not that I must be true to that period when the house was born, it's just that I want to begin somewhere, and start to think about how to deal with a space like this when I finally have the leeway to do what ever I want!

What should I be reading? Who wants to help me plan?

On my wishlist at the moment:

Old House Journal (George says he's going to give me old issues...)
Decorating is Fun! by Dorothy Draper
Creating a New Old House by Russell Versaci
Martha Stewart's New Old House
New Old House magazine

Must go to the AIA bookshop...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should check out American Bungalow magazine. Suddenly all of the bungalows you pass by every day without paying attention to them glare at you like beacons--as if they're saying, "Ignore me why don't you?! Don't you know my dark gloomy interior is hip now?!"