2/07/2008

Today was one of those insane days when I was literally home for 5 minutes. I was in Harrisburg all day, home to change, back in the car to get gas (I had none), run up to Mt. Aity, look at the house, become stressed, and then run back down the hill for the dance.

In particular, I remember another similar day years and years ago, back in the HPI days, when we had to wine and dine some board members, and all I wanted to do was get to the dance. I only made it for the last 3 dances at Perdue's that night, but what an absolute relief to dance King of Poland with Rich and not have to think about a thing. It was an utter return to normalcy after the craziness of the day, and put life back in its proper perspective.

This evening was like that. After the hell of the non-stop day, even knowing there would be more work to do at home after the dance, finally making it to GCD, with that part of my family all there, was a return home. And all it took was a few bars of Freeford Gardens, and catching eyes with the first woman to check in with me that we were covering on those turn singles, and all was well.

This is why, no matter what ups and downs I might have with GCD at any given moment, these dancers are still my home and family. To know that we move the same way, can anticipate reactions, and react to small gestures of warning or reminder to keep us on track - it's an amazing thing. Yes, like family, there are the spats and annoyances and middle children, and plenty to complain about, but at the end of the day, it's a community I'm proud to be a part of.

No comments: