6/01/2008

Transportation blues...

Ok, I admit it - freely: I am dependent on my car. I miss it, and I want it healed and I want it back. Now.

Not having a car completely changed my weekend, and mostly not in a good way. Saturday started as I planned - going to the yard sales in the neighborhood (buying a carafe and a flower frog for 50 cents, and getting a free fly swatter). Then the rains came (as soon as I turned on the hose to water in the yard) and it was all kind of down hill from there.

By the time I checked the train schedules, I'd missed the train that would get me to the movie party I was going to (yes, it would have taken me ~1.5 hours for a 40 minute drive). So between the awful, humid weather, and having no convenient transportation (trains on the hour only on weekends), I was not a happy camper. After this, I was determined to get to the dance, and I did - 2 trains, a shuttle bus and a trolley later (only 2 trains home after someone gave me a ride to the R5), but had to miss tea and hanging out so I could catch the last train home.

Oh, and sometime during the journey home, the temporary filling on my tooth started crumbling. Dentist on Tuesday morning. Can't wait.

Today was an antedote to yesterday, greatly assisted by the fine weather. I already knew I was not making it to the pool party (Jennifer says there's a bus, but I'm not convinced), so I took the train downtown to Penn's Landing to check out the Art Star Craft Bazaar, a venue for emerging craft artists full of stationary, printed t-shirts, and odd felted, plush critters - not animals, just critters. The festival overall was fun, but the crafts mostly made me feel old and unhip - I don't wear t-shirts, and I think I missed many of the anime/TV/pop culture references in some of the other art. Still and all, there was some beautiful jewelry and one photographer in particular who's work I loved. I'll try to showcase some of these folks in the coming week.

After my jaunt by the riverside, I headed to Borders for some long overdue quality time with magazines and books. I think I sat there for almost 3 hours in air conditioned bliss, catching up on my magazines and the latest entertaining books that make me want to throw parties right now immediately. It was wonderful. After I got home, I puttered around the house, and invaded George and Paul's Sunday dinner al fresco with some old friends.

Life is certainly possible without a car, but it makes the world smaller and limits options because of the amount of time things take on public transit and the constraints of schedules. It's not a life I want. I want to run around more widely, and fit in trips to the grocery store on the spur of the moment. I want my freedom back.

With any luck, I will be reunited with my car tomorrow or the next day - poorer, but happier.

No comments: