6/10/2008

Boom!

The weather broke.

Making it extremely exciting to get home. Remind me why I don't live in Center City anymore...

The storms that finally hit tonight took out power lines to some parts of Mt. Airy, and shut down first the Chestnut Hill East line, and then the Chestnut Hill West line.

Tanya phoned about the power outage, but when I called home to check in, the answering machine picked up, so all was well on the power front. Then according to the signs at Market East, the R7 was only running few minutes late - fine. Until the announcement that it wasn't running at all. Less fine. But it was a good night for a walk from Allen's Lane, so off to the R8 I went. It arrived, and then stranded us all at 30th Street.

High winds, downed trees, branches, power lines. Downed trains.

But I'm from New York and I know how to throw money at the problem. A visit to the ATM and a chat with a cop about the status of the Lincoln Drive later, and I was in a cab, and finally, poorer, but home.

And at last there's a cool breeze blowing through the windows. I'm going to sleep well tonight.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

hi! sorry to hear your tale of train woe. I know it's a pain, but you always have bus options too. Assuming the subway is running, the H bus goes from Broad and Erie, from the north side of Erie between Broad and 15th but closer to Broad (it can be a little confusing). The 18 and L go from Broad and Olney and I think go pretty near you, though I'm not terribly familiar with them. Most of the busses I use wouldn't help you get to your house.