6/08/2008

I gave in...

Summer arrived in Philadelphia yesterday. It says, "Hi."

The house is faring as you would expect: the first floor is bearable, especially if you are sitting still. The second floor is less bearable - sitting still and still dripping. The third floor is not good. And Laurie just moved up there today...

I finally gave in and put in my air conditioner in my bedroom window. And I did it myself. And it doesn't appear to be falling out of the window. It helps that the window it's in is missing one of the chains on the side, making it difficult to open and close. It's closed tightly around the window unit now, and I don't think it's going anywhere.

I'm not really happy with the way I had to get power to the A/C. First, there are no outlets near either window. Second, though the outlet behind my bed is 3-prong, it's not grounded. I plugged in a surge protector to the outlet (A/C, bedside lamp), and a 15 amp extention cord to that so it can wind around behind a dresser and reach the A/C in the side window. It works, but...

I think the time has come for more grounded outlets in the house. I need one for the A/C, even though it's a small unit. I want one in the upstairs parlour for my computer, and one for the other electronics. Laurie needs at least two upstairs, as I knew any renter would. So, that becomes higher on the priority list:

-Grounded outlets (5)
-Screens
-Another air conditioner? More than one?
-Bathroom on the 3rd floor

When I first plugged it in, it was 89 degrees in my room. It's in the 70s now. I'm the luckiest one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two words: standing fans!!!