6/04/2008

Craft room decorating scheme...

Because I have to buy a tooth and a car (of similar prices), I now need to go back to my money making schemes. Renting the 3rd floor, check. Eating Ramen, well, not every night, but I have some in the house. Making craft items for sale, well...

The good news is that soon I will be able to make craft items at all! Last night, Jennifer and I put together my lovely table from Ikea, and over the next several days, I plan to whip the craft room into shape so I can start using it.

I've decided that I'm going to leave the walls in that room the white color they are, and use that space for more free-form, collage-y wall decorations. I recently realized that in every room I had in college, on my bulletin boards at work, I've created these assembleges of images - postcards, fortune cookie fortunes, quotes from magazines, old calendar images, comics, anything, arranged in random patterns as I amass the images. Yes, it's another collection of small things, all posted, making me happy as I look up at them. It's a cross of these two ideas:




Unframed, mostly paper, but arranged geometrically, like pieces of a puzzle that fit.

I'll be able to pull out some of those images from back in school - flower alphabet cards and my collection of Sierra Club tree images, and the new things that have been waiting for a place - panels of postage stamps and paint samples and clippings from magazines.

It's tempting to paint the whole room with magnet paint, but instead I'll just make sure to stock up on masking tape. And then I have to figure out where I put those bags of cards and piles of paper. Probably already somewhere in the craft room.

Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Joy said...

I think you should paint a portion in blackboard paint, so you can scribble ideas and lists and stuff. I've always wanted to do that. :-)

Joanna said...

And they have different colors of blackboard paint now. And somewhere I read about mixing custom colors...

But magnetic paint sounds really enticing...

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Ramen, there are loads of "frugality blogs" out there with hints on how to get by without feeling so pinched. One I read regularly (though mostly because it is a physics major embarking on a teaching adventure) is called "Not Living on Ramen."
Hey, do you have any birthday wishes?