6/29/2008

Okay, take a deep breath...

What a weird dance weekend...

There are so many things I love about dancing, including travelling with friends to dance events, sharing the experience, rehashing it afterwards, etc. But this weekend, while okay on the whole brought out some of my least favorite things about going to dances:

-Fast partnering - before the applause is over, all of the people around you are partnered up. This behaviour is typical of many places, but I find it especially rampant in the particular community we were visiting. I was reminded why I'm boycotting their ball.

-Callers who talk too much - this makes the dance instructions hard to ferret out, and turns excess attention on the caller rather than on the dancers and the music. As a caller, I don't think the evening should be about the caller, no matter how pleasant he or she may be...

-Teachers who can't teach. They use the same words to explain what made no sense the fitst time rather than using different words, demonstrating, or having someone else demonstrate. We all lose that way - caller is frustrated, and dancers still don't know what to do.

-Teachers who don't own their ideas and convictions. Don't tell me to dance in a particular way because it will make me enjoy the dance more. Tell me to do x because it is a style you are advocating at the moment or for some other reason, but don't put it on me. I have a pretty good idea of what makes me enjoy a dance and stupid hand gestures are not it. Try again. Or rather, don't. ARGHHHH!!!!! I try pretty hard not to outright avoid this person's workshops and ideas, try to see that she has something to offer, interesting dances, if nothing else. But she doesn't make it easy.

And all of this happens on the eve of my going to July 4th Weekend, where I plan to put all of this behind me and have a stellar time, damn it.

1 comment:

EmilyP said...

I'm sad to hear that you last weekend wasn't as much fun as you were hoping... especially since it sounds like you were being consciously optimistic in hoping for good things. But I will keep my fingers crossed for you to have an entirely different and good weekend coming up. - that's the advantages of not dealing with the same people all the time, I guess. :)