3/24/2008

Who thought it was a good idea to have 7,000 items of hanging clothes???

Several thousand of which I moved today. Boy was that a crazy chore:

-load all clothes into car - ~8 trips, plus two trips for the rest of the rubber stamps
-drive to Mt. Airy
-park in front of house with flashers on - the only spots are too far down the block to unload stuff; cars can mostly squeeze by
-move clothes currently on first floor to 2nd floor racks - 4-5 trips up stairs
-take clothes from car to 2nd floor - 6-7 trips
-take clothes from car to first floor - 4-5 trips
-periodically drop pieces of clothing onto the street, against the icky stuff on the stairs; step on pieces of clothing
-wonder where the nearest dry cleaner is
-wonder how we will get downstairs clothing and rack upstairs...

Boy am I happy that chore is over. Ick.

The house is getting quite full of stuff that needs to be distributed to its proper place, but I'm hoping to have help with that on the weekend. Thank goodness for Mom. If she hadn't come to pack with me this weekend, I don't think I would have gotten a quarter of the stuff done that we did together, including a trip to Ikea. She's amazing!

In the house/out of the apartment

-All books
-All rubber stamps and craft items
-All hanging clothes
-All but essential bathroom items
-All but essential linens
-All but essential kitchen items including pots & pans, plates, bowls, etc.
-All breakables - china, pottery, vases, lanterns
-All tea pots
-All but essential fuzzy critters

Still to go:

-the essential stuff
-pictures, calendars, and other stuff on the walls
-curtains
-food
-electronics
-small appliances
-large appliance (a/c, microwave)
-furniture
-bed
-clothes hamper full of dirty clothes

Not to mention the tons of little things that will appear between now and then - the fans, lamps, objects that defy boxing, etc. But we're getting there. The trunk is packed with things I will take up after class tomorrow night. I will do the same for Wednesday. Food on Thursday, I think.

I'm having two house projects done in the near term. Right now the 2nd and 3rd floor hallway walls and ceilings are covered with this spray on popcorn goo that has left sharp points that scrape your skin, grab your clothing, and flake off leaving a constant mess on the floor. That's going away sometime this week - at least from the walls. I'll do the ceiling later. $180 - I'll take it!

And then next week I'm having my one leak fixed, installing bleeders on the two radiators that don't have them, giving the refrigerator its own circuit, and making sure the outlets in the kitchen and laundry room are properly grounded. Who needs $600 anyway.

I'm excited that I'm getting close. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter. Will I be anywhere near unpacked by Passover - I doubt it, but the journey will be fun!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's it! When you decide that you want to start your own band, you now have a name: Objects That Defy Boxing (or OTDB for short).
--SA