3/06/2008

Longing for shelving

One week from tonight, I hope to be a homeowner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I told someone recently that I was buying a seven-bedroom house, he wasn't at all shocked as most are. He said, "Great! One room for you and six for the books." That's about right.

One of the things I dream about are ample bookshelves, especially built-in ones. I've been collecting pictures...

I thought this idea was ingenious. They took a room with open rafters and nailed up sheets at certain points for instant shelves. I think this one works best it the ceiling is already fairly low so that the books are accessible.



While I'm not sure about the color of these, I find them to to be the quinessential shelves - that combination of open shelves with lower cabinets that allow ample space for books and decorative objects. Oh for a wall that big!






This one cleverly hides the built-in book shelf behind the door but has that added bonus of the built-in desk next to it. It may be a bit much, but it's certainly on the right track of an idea.




I like the idea of some combination of open shelves and shelves with glass doors (stay tuned for some kitchen ideas along thos lines...). While glass doors inhibit access, they cut down on the dust big time. If you have as many books and other items as me, dust has to figure prominently in shelving design considerations...


I feel a little mixed about this idea. I like it in concept, but I'm not sure I want that cantilevered affect inside, and like the first phot, books that might be too inaccessible. But if you're not blessed with space, I say take it!



In the new house I have to do some major space planning and thinking about which books will go in which room, where are the current bookshelves going to go, where do I eventually want to put in more shelves. Cookbooks near the kitchen, obviously, and craft books upstairs in the craft room. Novels in the parlour. But where does one store their 80+ books about tea.

I wouldn't give up the challenge of figuring this out for anything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tea books...in the sitting room, perhaps? Or in the tea nook? Or, put the novels in the sitting room (cozy place for self) and the tea books in the parlor (where you will be serving tea).

For the record, only 4 of our rooms are used as official book storing rooms.

Anonymous said...

Tea books go in the parlor of course - novels go everywhere! Don't forget to keep your favorites in the bedroom, where they can lull you to sleep or comfort you when you're sick. Oh & you'll have to get a coffee table for your living room - to display your coffee table books!

EmilyP said...

I remember seeing a compact setup in a house with slopey roofs - I'm particularly sensitive to that, since I keep living in apartments with a ceiling 4 feet off the floor at the edges. (we almost ended up in a new one, but chose a different set of drawbacks for the new place, tell you more later) Anyway, built-in shelves floor-to-ceiling against the short part, say 4-feet tall, then another set immediately in front (say 4.5 feet tall), hinged to swing open like a cabinet door. Not the perfect display setup, since you've got books behind books, but really it's just books behind an opaque cabinet door, which happens to be a door that holds books... Of course, I have a weakness for swinging shelves anyway - Dirk's father made his mom a spice cabinet like that, breaking up a single kitchen cabinet into 3 vertical surfaces with shelves on each, and I'm very impressed.

What I mean to say is, hooray for shelves, savior of the attempting-to-be-organized!