3/25/2008

Sage advice...

Never have PMS while you're moving. It's just a bad idea. The emotional impact of, well, everything is so much more than it would otherwise be. I think.

The thing that has gotten me over the past few days is the constant remark from many people about how much stuff I have. And with the exception of a very few people, it's never, "oh, how many lovely, worthwhile things you have," it seems to be, "you have a lot of crap you shouldn't have and now you're going to make us move it."

This is, of course, extreme, but I'm not sure that it's wrong.

So as a result my reaction has been to pack and move as much as possible myself with mainly the help of my family who understand and share my love of stuff, and who will love me no matter what. And the comments push all of the buttons about my inner guilt about having so much stuff, though I love it, and not wanting to ask people for help because they might say no, or tease me about my stuff and how much I'm making them carry.

This moving/packing/buying a house/leaving my apartment and Center City thing has been emotional from the beginning, and uncharted territory for me for the most part. It's easy to forget that people go through this all the time and survive. And maybe the secret is that everyone has too much stuff, but that it's easier to notice someone else's than acknowledge your own.

So for the next several days, please bear with me and I wade through the emotional minefield. I ask for patience and kindness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*HUG*

EmilyP said...

I keep saying to myself, "everything will be just fine". It makes a great mantra.

I am guilty of saying to myself and others "holy crap, you have a lot of stuff" but I am, at heart, somewhat impressed when I say that. It's kind of just a way of saying "wow, we have a lot to do, so let's get on it".

On the other hand, moving is not the time for an even temper - trying to get moved in here a year and a half ago, I managed to yell/snipe at Dirk, my future in-laws, the kind friends helping us move, in fact, just about everybody. That's just the way moving goes... for me anyway.

Not to worry, everything will be just fine. :)