4/03/2008

New paths, new routines

One amazingly wonderful thing about this new house is that in many ways it feels quite normal. I didn't expect that. Maybe it's because it's still all of my stuff, just in different surroundings. Maybe it's because I grew up in a multi-storey house, so running up and down the stairs all the time is just a return to the way it was for the first half of my life. Or maybe, simply, this was the right place at the right time.

Nevertheless, there are so many new things to get used to and learn; new habits to form.

I've gone from needing a calendar in every room to needing a clock in every room as I have again become a commuter, and Septa determines a large part of my schedule. I have to catch the 8:14 train or I'll be late to work. I have to figure out how much time it really takes to walk up to Suburban Station from my office so I can catch the 5:08 home. I left work at 4:45 yesterday, 4:50 today and had time to spare. Tomorrow, 4:55.

I'm learning to navigate the roads up here, including making accomodation for the now perpetually under construction Germantown Ave. So far no matter how I slice it, it still takes 40 minutes to get to Swarthmore, but I like the way I found tonight via Stenton and Flourtown roads. I think that's the winner.

I'm trying to form new and better habits - don't go to ged with dishes in the sink, unpack at least part of a box every day, make lunch before bed - don't leave it 'til morning, and the as yet untried try to clean the bathrooms and at least one other space every weekend. This will be a challenge as I hate cleaning, but I think in the end, it will be more satisfying to do it than not. I am enticed by the idea of having a clean, open, welcoming space where I can have people in at a moment's notice and not worry about the condition or cleanliness of the house. If I want that, I have to stay on top of it from the get go.

But I haven't yet formed the habit of getting to bed early...

1 comment:

EmilyP said...

Habits are hard - it seems like I can't get rid of bad habits, I can only try to add good ones and maybe they'll replace some bad ones. I'm hoping that a new town with help with cultivating some good habits of my own, though moving from dishwasher to no-dishwasher makes parts of that pretty daunting.
good luck!