1/19/2008

Waffling

Warning - more house pictures coming in the next few days....

I think I mentioned that I'm on the FreeCycle listserv for both Center City and Philadelphia. FreeCycle is this great idea for people who want to get rid of things and people who need things. My best FreeCycle find - a room air conditioner. My next best, and only my second - 2 Krups waffle makers - one for two waffles, one for four.

Waffles, you ask? Waffles! Mom had a waffle iron at home that was fun, but that we rarely used. Then I remember once having a diner Belgian waffle with maple syrup, ice cream and whipped cream. Fabulous. In college we used to have dinner at Swarthmore on Fridays freshman year. The food was less good, but they had Belgian waffle makers (Bryn Mawr does now too.). And now I get all of these catalogs like Williams Sonoma and Kitchen Kapers and my favorite, Crate & Barrel that all have Waffle makers, and it got me to thinking...

Waffle are good for every meal - breakfast with syrup and bacon, dinner with chicken, dessert with ice cream and chocolate. Mmmmmm...

And now, I have two relatively new waffle makers that work! They stand upright when not in use, and so take up little counter space. This past Thursday, Joanna P. helped me try them out.

The first challenge was to find a batter recipe. I was able to download the manuals from the web, and they included recipes. I tried the buttermilk waffles:

1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg, separated
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbl butter melted

1. Whisk the dry ingredients together
2. Combine egg yolk, buttermilk and butter and add to dry ingredients and mix gently.
3. Beat egg white until stiff. Fold into batter
4. Pour onto preheated waffle iron. Bake ~4 minutes. Serve immediately.

This was easy to make and came out well, but I'd love to find a recipe that does not require separating eggs to save breaking out another appliance. I'm going to check out the King Arthur cookbook and Joy of Cooking. Anyone have favorite recipes I should try?

Oh, and one note, when the recipe says that it makes 4 waffles, it makes 4 waffles, period.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a waffle recipe that does not call for separated eggs:

Belgian Waffles
Recipe courtesy Wayne Harley Brachman
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 8 waffles

2 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
Nonstick vegetable spray for coating waffle iron

Optional:
Confectioners' sugar
Fresh berries
Whipped cream
Ice cream

Preheat a waffle iron. In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk, milk, eggs, and melted butter. Mix together just until combined (DON'T OVERMIX THE BATTER!). The batter should look slightly lumpy.

Spray the waffle iron with the nonstick vegetable spray. Pour 1/2 cup of the batter or the amount recommended by the waffle-iron maker onto the waffle iron; bake as directed by the manufacturer.

Dust finished waffles with confectioners' sugar and top with fresh berries, whipped cream, or ice cream, if desired. Serve hot.

Joanna said...

Perfect! Also uses up the buttermilk I was unable to buy in small quantities...

Do you think I can use regular flour?

Anonymous said...

According to whatscookingamerica.net: "If you cannot find cake flour, substitute bleached all purpose flour, but subtract 2 tbsp of flour for each cup used in the recipe (if using volume measuring)."