1/12/2008

A cafe a day...

Where better to begin this electronic adventure than Remedy Tea Bar, one of the rare cafes in town that's really all about tea.


Secret reason why I really love Remedy - double-walled glasses. This is where I first encountered the wonder that is Bodum's wonderful contraption - the double-walled cups that allow you to see the color of the tea and touch the glass without buring your hands. I love them. I have a bunch at home in various shapes - canteen, bistro, pavina. Never enough.


Other reasons to love and patronize Remedy: This is an actual tea cafe. They don't serve coffee. And not only do they serve highly decent tea, they serve black tea. No, this is not some chichi froufrou tea place that has bubble tea and every kind of bland white tea out there. Well, they have those too, and even those strange non-tea teas (yes, tisanes) but they don't neglect the other end of the tea scale - the fine Darjeelings and Yunnans. Yum.


And it's not pretentious. It's easy to sit here and chat, read your email or do anything else. The music isn't intrusive and the bathroom is clean. I don't see any outlet to plug in this fine laptop, but I'm hoping I just didn't look hard enough.


I'm afraid that Remedy will only have a short life, that its location on Sansom, behind the more obvious Walnut will hide its existence, and in too short a time it will go away. So meet me for tea here sometime, would you?


From my notebook:

Other free internet sites:

Reading Terminal Market
Love Park
Ant Pants Cafe - 2212 South Street
Bean Exchange Cafe - 650 Bainbridge Street
Brew Ha Ha - 212 S. 12th Street
Chapterhouse Cafe - 620 S. 9th Street
Last Drop - 1300 Pine Street
T-Bar - 117 S. 12th at Sansom