1/20/2008

I think Susie would agree that one of the key things to a house purchase is making sure there are good spots to have tea. Some things that might contribute:


A window seat and a fireplace...





Of course what's really important for tea is just good friends, boiling hot water, a few mugs, a few leaves.



But here are a few of my favorite additions to teatime:



Good tea. Tea that is not ancient (I refuse to comment on the age of my own personal stash of tea. Must drink more tea.). My favorite stuff comes from Upton Tea Imports based in Hopkinton, MA. The have a wide selection of black and green teas, decaf, white, tisanes, you name it. They also have accoutrements for tea: pots, cups, strainers, etc. I tend toward black teas from china (though you just can't beat a good Darjeeling). My favorite is Sichuan Zao Bei Jian. It has excellent flavor and slightly more kick than the mellow Darjeeling without the strong astringency of an Assam. Because I don't order tea very often, I live in fear that it will be gone next time I place an order...



And what to enjoy tea in? I previously mentioned Bodum's doublewalled glasses and mugs. They're just so much fun to drink from - everybody needs these!




I have many teapots, but in the past few years I've fallen in love with a hard-to-find collection of Japanese teaware made/distributed by a company called Tampopo (Dandelion)





I came across it by accident. I went ot one of Deb's Stonewall concerts in Park Slope once. We were early and so Eileen and I browsed through the artsy stores. In one I found two of the Tampopo bowls, pieces from a set that had been broken up. The shopkeeper had no idea what the brand was on the bottom (in Japanese), or anything else about them. But I loved them and bought them. I few years later, in a new Philadelphia teashop, I found more pieces - cups, teapots, etc. Still later, I found more pieces in a shop in Northampton, MA, where I bought a bowl, and finally learned the manufacturer's name. Deb has found pieces in NYC for me. I actually know of two places where I can find it near hear - a gourmet shop in Old City and a Kitchen/dining ware place in Peddler's Village in Lahaska. I still want the sets of plates, bowls, well, anything...

I'm sort of glad it's hard to find. I know of a couple of sources, but it's pricey. But beautiful. And hard to resist.

When are you coming for tea?

No comments: