1/16/2008

Oh yeah, writing dance programs, right...

Last Fall I went through this run where I was writing about 75,000 dance programs at the same time (well, 7-8), followed closely by having to call them. I've had this break, but I've got to get back into the swing of it.

Next up, program-wise. GCD on 2/13 (Valentine's Day dance!!!) and a Jane Austen Ball program for the Country Dancers of Rochester. (Hmmm... I had planned to have a new dress made for the latter. Maybe I will hold off at present....)

The real excitement for me is the two summer camp weeks I'm on staff for this year: BACDS English Week and Mendocino and CDSS English-American Week at Pinewoods. It's amazing to be doing either one of these, much less both, and daunting at the same time. I still look at these opportunities and say that I have to make good or die, seeing each gig as a career opportunity.

While it's not quite as dire as that sounds, there is some truth to it. There are a ton of English callers in this country, and I don't really have the advantage of youth anymore. And in a sense all of us callers are all vying for the small number of gigs out there. So I guess I'd better do a good job then. Which means I have a ton of prep and a ton of thinking to do in the coming months. Boy am I lucky to have those Swarthmore students to try out dances on.

More in the coming weeks about the Swarthmore English Scottish Ball (2/9!) and camp preparations.

From my notebook - Draft program for 2/13 - It's too hard, but when isn't it?

Wooden Shoes
Old Noll's Jig
Dunsmuir Waltz
Band of Friends
A Southerly Breeze
Beechen Grove's New Hall
All Saint's DAy

Bartlett House
Mr. Ganiford's Maggot
The Merry Andrew
Turn of the Tide
Good Man of Cambridge

No comments: