1/31/2008

So many books...

On Monday, despite being sickly, I took a journey to two of the bigger libraries in the Free Library system: Central and Northeast Regional. Lest you think otherwise, yes, the Free Library system enables you to request books from other libraries, renew things online, and all of those bells and whistles, but sometimes I don't want to wait that long. So a trip was in order.

I started at Central. I love going into that old huge building, but for all of the ceiling height, even in the circulating part, I always think there should be floor-to-ceiling books everywhere, and many copies of things, and the full collections of the authors I most want to read right now. But in truth, the circulating part of central is much like a branch library with slighly more books, and way better architecture.

And then a fairly typical libraby thing happened - one of the books I wanted wasn't there. It wasn't out, it was missing. In fact, it hasn't been checked out since 1999, and apparently, nobody noticed. And there's a decent chance that the one other copy of the book in the whole free library system is also gone.

I don't really understand how this happens. Don't libraries do peiodic inventories of their books to make sure they have everything, and to make sure it's all in place? The book I wanted could be anywhere in that space, hidden on another shelf in a corner, and it could sit there for years. Heck, they don't even bother to alphabetize the paperbacks there, but only group them by first letter of the author's last name. Somehow, I just expect more.

Then there was the incident of Central accidently shelving a book I had taken out and returned this summer, without first returning it on their system this summer. When I was able to find it on their shelf, they graciously removed the fine from my account, without ever acknowledging that it was their error. Fun.

After central, I drove up to the great Northeast to the Northeast Regional library. I was looking for a particular book, and the only copy in the system is at Northeast Regional, in large print. It's disconcerting to read print that size, but as I get used to it, it will be a little odd at first to go back to regular size print.

The big plus about the library was free, high-speed internet access with no pressure, nay, no possibility of buying coffee. Not that I don't love a little beverage in the evening, but it's outside of my $.75/day spending plan. (Just remembered that registration renewal and car inspection are coming up. Darn!)

On Tuesday, as I was endlessly driving around looking for parking, I heard a Soundprint episode all about libraries. I was thrilled to hear that libraries aren't going to disappear, though saddened at the movement away from books and toward internet use and online publications. As a co-habitant of books, I know they are essential company.

Some ideas and photos on bookshelves, etc., to come.

No comments: