5/26/2008

Small steps...

In my head I keep telling myself that some progress in the house is good. But I still feel I didn't accomplish as much as I could have. But then, I wasn't at home as much as in my head I thought I'd be...

But I got a few small things done, and plan to get another done before bed.

-Plants from Liz planted and even watered. I need the promised rain tonight and tomorrow to give them all a good drink and a positive start in my yard.
-Potluck items made - red velvet cupcakes (always a crowd pleaser, doubtless because they're from a box) and eggplant pasta salad. The latter was part of my new program of trying recipes. It's not an ideal recipe, but it was good practice. And I hope it's better the next day because I have a ton left. But hey, I cooked eggplant for the first time and it wasn't hideous! Now to find some eggplant recipies that are not also tomato-y. I think I would like those better and it would feature the eggplant a little more.
-Ikea table put together; electronics set up. Yes, the stereo, CD player, TV, VCR and DVD player are all in place, hooked up, and ready to go. And yes, the outlets in the upstairs parlour are next to be grounded.

The plan before bed is to clear out enough space in the craft room to construct the table/counter/thing that's going in there. I don't think I'll get to putting that together until next Friday night, or maybe Sunday, but when I have a couple of hours and some help, I want to be ready to go.

Anyone feel like participating in a bout of furniture assembly? Tea and/or other refreshments provided...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eggplant Steaks
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Show: Good Eats


1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup thick steak sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
8 (1/2-inch) eggplant slices, purged with salt
1 cup grated Parmesan
3 tablespoons chopped parsley, optional

In a small bowl whisk together the Worcestershire, steak sauce, olive oil, honey, and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.

Pat your eggplant dry with paper towels. With a pastry brush apply the sauce to both sides of the eggplant. Place eggplant rounds onto a sheet tray fitted with a rack. Place the tray under the broiler for until eggplant is nicely browned, approximately 2 minutes. Turn slices over and place back under broiler to brown the other side. Generously sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan over all of the slices. Place back under the broiler for 1 minute to nicely brown the cheese. Serve plain or sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley.

Anonymous said...

Line has a good recipe: cut the eggplant into 3/8 inch thick slices, brush both sides with olive oil, put under broiler until golden on one side. Then flip and return to broiler until golden on the other side too. Serve with garlic sauce--you will have to ask her for the recipe, but it is a quick yogurt or mayonnaise-based aioli with fresh garlic pressed into and mixed around. Yum!
-Fran

Joy said...

I'll come help with the craft room! This weekend?