5/04/2008

Home again, home again, jiggety-jig...

Desperate not to recreate last weekend hellish drive home after Neffa, I raced out of Rochester right after the Ball, only minimally stopped, and made it home in under six hours. Pretty good, I'd say.

And the weekend was quite good in fact. I was dance mistress at the Country Dancers of Rochester's Jane Austen Ball.

It suddenly struck me as I was driving up to Rochester yesterday, that this was one of my first gigs where I really didn't know anyone in the community. Not true, of course, because I knew the folks who hired me and withwhom I was staying, and because the dance world is so small, I know/recognize people from Neffa or from other dances, but I'd never met/heard the band before, and I had no buddies in the crowd. And though I was equally unknown to them, I think I made good.

It was a lovely event. The hall is drop-dead gorgeous and with a good floor to boot. Pricey, I hear - too pricey to get on a Saturday night, but the tea dance format really works. And folks are into the clothes - gave me extreme dress envy. Though I have no concept if that style of dress would look like anything on me, I want one. Heck, I also want the perfect body to pull one of those off...

And my calling went well. The comment I get all the time is how clear my instructions are. Clear is the word people use over and over. This make me really happy, but also puzzles me a great deal. Why are other people not clear. Are they talking too much? Are they straying from the instructions and trying to be descriptive, but winding up being confusing? Nevertheless, the organizer was happy, and the dancers seemed happy. Working with the band was great, and I may even have gotten a few more gigs out of this!

And did I mention that all of the lilacs were blooming in Rochester. For that reason alone it would have been worth going!

This week I finally have several nights at home, and a weekend at home at last to look forward to. I must clean and do yard work, go to Lowe's, and maybe Ikea. But I am desperate to tackle the craft room and make some cards, including a thank-you card for my weekend host and hostess - something blue and white I think.

Huzzah for good weekends and good dancing, and a good night's sleep at the end of it all.

No comments: