7/21/2008

Re-entry...

It's impossible to sum up a trip to a dance camp in a few sentences and make it instantly clear what the experience was like. I won't try.

The first time I went to Neffa, I knew I was having a good time, but I didn't know what to do, where to go, how to structure my day, what to do during the off hours. Even by the end of the festival, I wasn't sure it was for me. Come the next year, it was impossible to think about not going back. While my feelings for Mendocino aren't quite that way, I know if I don't go back, I'll miss some things.

I won't miss the hills and the lack of electricity and the too-small dance hall, but if I don't return, I won't get to catch up with all of the folks who rarely travel east to that other camp I sometimes go to, but that we don't discuss too loudly or too often in the west lest anyone sense competition. I met and danced with lovely people. I saw redwoods and the Pacific Ocean and San Francisco, albeit by car. I ate well, and got more sleep than I ever do at camp, and even acquitted myself well on the teaching front.

And if they ask me back, I'm there.

2 comments:

1ecdancer said...

Hi Joanna,
I hope you enjoyed Mendocino and are enjoying your new house! I'm sure I'll be hearing great things about your calling!
Any tips on what to bring to Pinewoods? Do I need a sleeping bag or will sheets do? I'm probably going to ship a box of stuff in the next few days. Help!

Joanna said...

What to bring to Pinewoods... Camp should send you an official list of what to bring, or if they don't one is available online at cdss.org - start with that. First and foremost - a flashlight! I always prefer sheets to a sleeping bag, and I always bring a blanket, though I'm guessing you won't need one in the next few weeks.

Bring more clothes than you think you need. Ditto towels. With the humidity that's common, things don't dry very well. If you're shipping things and have room, a fan is useful.

Folks bring beverages of many varieties to enjoy after the evening dance and share at the afternoon parties, but you may be best off doing any of that sort of purchasing locally if you're coming from a distance.

If you realize you've forgotten something, the camp store is open 24 hours and has toiletries and batteries and pain relievers and all of that stuff in addition to drinks and snacks (mmmmm - Dove Bars). In addition, the First Aid Room stocks sheets and blankets and towels all available for a very small rental fee.

Have fun! I can't wait to get back there myself.