8/19/2008

In memoriam...



Marianne Taylor lost her battle with cancer today.

There are so many fine things to remember about Marianne - her spirit, cheerful disposition, gift for teaching and utter devotion to the dance community, but on a more personal level, there was no one I would rather dance next to.

When I was on crew at Pinewoods, I would go the the evening dances during FAC Week and stumble through the patterns of the International Folk Dances, or at least the ones that were slow enough so that I could understand what was happening. But if I was lucky enough to be standing next to Marianne, who would sometimes make that happen on purpose, she would not only whisper the steps to me, she would say them in a dance language I knew so that I could keep up and if briefly, become a part of that community.

Thank you for that Marianne, and for so much more. It was a privilege to know you.

For more information:

2 comments:

Joy said...

WHHAAAAAHH!!!!! I didn't know her like you did, but losing her still makes me cry. She was just so wonderful.

Joanna said...

A few weeks ago when i called in Boston, I was asked at the last minute to change my program and include the dance Turn of the Tide, which Marianne really liked. Marianne said that she wanted us to dance it in her honor and not in her memory. I'm glad we had a chance to do it.

It's hard to conceive of a dance world without Marianne in it.