8/06/2008

Better because it's Swedish...

Tonight I took Laurie to Ikea. We spent about 2.5 hours there and she got tons of stuff, and I think not even everything that she wanted. And while it was a ton of stuff, who am I to say or think a word about it. The only difference between what she bought tonight and what I've accumulated over time is that my Ikea purchases come in dribs and drabs with a buying pattern made possible by my car and the frequent trips I can take on a whim. This is why and how I have so many candles in my house...

This week's Ikea purchases:



Two of these Benno shelves for the kitchen. They are shallow enough to fit next to the radiator, yet not impede the passage to the laundry room. Who wants to help me put them together on Friday night??



This was tonight's impulse buy. It's meant to be an add-on to your kitchen cabinets - a narrow piece that fills a gap and provides practical storage for wine bottles and whatever else. Retail - about $75; floor model in the As-Is section, $19. I couldn't leave it there. I just couldn't. Added bonus: it was already assembled.

The new Ikea catalogue will be in stores on 8/16. I can't wait! Pleasure reading for a whole year!

1 comment:

EmilyP said...

That narrow shelf thing is awesome!! It is exactly what I would've wanted in my last apartment. Inexplicably, both bathrooms had a large gap (10" and 11.5") between the right-hand edge of the bathroom sink countertop and the wall. It always puzzled me. Is there some sort of item that "normal" people desperately want to store next to the sink, that they'd deliberately made space for? More cynically, they replaced original bathroom fixtures with smaller (cheap) ones, while still keeping it centered on the place where the pipe comes out of the wall, and that just left a gap. Of top annoyance was, I have those ubiquitous 12" pressboard white shelves, but the gap was only 11.5. Maybe 11.8. So close to fitting, but wouldn't go. Anyway, that apartment is gone now, but looking at your new shelves reminded me so much of that.