2/26/2009

It's magic!

Today I found myself thinking about Magic Squares. I've long been drawn to these in part because they are puzzles, which I love, but moreso because of the patterns hidden within.

I was given a book about magic squares when I was younger, and shortly after I learned to construct the odd numbered squares by following a simple method, the math became too complex to hold my interest. But one of the key things I remembered is that if you follow the number pattern with line segments, you get endless varieties of designs, some of which are reproduced here (scroll down): http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MagicSquare.html. It's these patterns that appear in my doodling and which I think would make great artwork elements. I am not entirely alone in this:

Magic Squares as Visual Designs on Pots

The Atomic Art of Magic Squares

Botanical Gardens of Leipzig

Clearly this is an untapped area of design, and one I should take advantage of. I can see it now - rubber stamps, cross-stitch and black work patterns, fine china designs, etched crystal...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is such a geeky post, which was completely unexpected! Thanks for the links!