2/03/2009

Okay, enough with the weather...

Don't get me wrong. I think snow is pretty and all, but I've about had it. I don't want to shovel it, I don't want to clear it off my car, and I don't want to drive in it. This is Philadelphia. This is practically the southland. We are not supposed to have this kind of weather here. What gives?

Tonight it was predicted that the snow would end at about 9pm and we would have about 1"-3" of snow on the ground. I got home from work and had just enough time to clear and salt the steps and sidewalk, then clear off the car and head to Swarthmore. It's a little slippy on the local roads, but fine. Class, clear off car, go to longsword. Rehearsal, clear lots of snow off of the car, and proceed to begin the drive home. It is after 9pm. It's still snowing. A lot. So much for the weather report.

The Blue Route is a big mess, made worse by the spray of big truck, but we make it off and I start looking for gas stations, as the idiot light has just come on on the dash. The station that was open had no regular gas, so now to add to the fun of the drive, we have the potential drama of running out of gas. But we creep along Germantown Avenue, slipping but maintaining control for the most part. Until a car randomly stops dead. Deep breath.

We pass that car, finally, although the car hates changing lanes, pass the car further down the road also stopped, and creep into Chestnut Hill. All of the gas stations are closed, but we slide down the hill, trying to forget that there are slippery, unpredictable trolley tracks underneath.

Home stretch. Turn onto Boyer. I fear the parking situation. But then, a spot close to the house. Unheard of at this hour.

I'll shovel in the morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh no - what will you do tomorrow without gas?

Joanna said...

Oh, I have enough gas to get me to the gas station. But the idiot light just added to the excitement of the drive!