12/25/2008

Taking the day...

Maybe people in the neighborhood are longing for a white Christmas, but I, for one needed this first truly sunny day we've had in forever.

Christmas day, and moreso Christmas Eve used to be very hard for me as a differently religious person. I always have this notion that the whole world, or the whole of my immediate world anyway, are off somewhere having a grand time with trees and presents and the romantic vision shown in movies and books. But maybe as life seems to get more hectic, I need Christmas day as a day of rest, a day free of obligation, when the only outings are to and with friends because everthing else is closed. And here and there I get the sense that for some, Christmas is no different than my holidays with family traditions and to-do, cooking, and company. It's just that more people I know are doing it all at once.

Last night I finished a book and was well into my second DVD when George called to say he had skipped out on Christmas Eve family things and he was done making cookies, so I should come over, which I did. This morning I slept in, did a laundry, continued the process of scrubbing the kitchen to de-oil it, puttered. And now there's a turkey in my oven for the Christmas dinner I'm going to later on, and hazelnuts to toast, oh, and maybe another movie to watch... Oh, and parties on the weekend to look forward to, and hopefully sunny days, and a peaceful 2009 to come.

An excerpt from my favorite poem for this time of year:

"As promise wakens in the sleeping land
They carol, feast, and dearly love their friends.
And hope for peace.
And so do we, here, now,
This year and every year."

-Susan Cooper, The Shortest Day

Be merry and bright, and to quote another song title, "Happy Whatever You're Having."

No comments: