10/22/2008

The ubiquitous purple dress...

Somehow it just happened that the main colors in my wardrobe are black, red/burgundy and purple, with small touches of navy, fuschia, and forest green thrown in from time to time. And looking in my closet, especially at my dance dresses, purple is clearly it. Photographic evidence below:


The dress above is in my favorite fabric from Eagle Ray Traders based in MA, vendors at many NE dance and folk festivals. I love this fabric so much that I have three dresses it in: the short jumper shown, a long jumper and a short flippy dress.




This picture is from a few days ago at the Baltimore Playford Ball. The dress is one of my favorites - the shape of a ball gown, but in comfortable cotton. You throw it in the washer, and then in the dryer. The skirt has all kinds of spin, and it is, of course, purple, with the added bonus of swirls:


I have two other versions of the dress. The first one of that pattern is green. Number two is above, and number three is, not surprisingly, purple, with an oak leaf pattern.

And I've just come back from a fitting for my Jane Austen dress, actually a practice, less formal dress than the eventual ball gown will be. When I went fabric shopping for the fancy dress, I was looking for burgundy, but came away with, yes, purple. And when we decided to do the less formal dress first, just to see if the style was plausible on me, what color was the many yards-worth of fabric I just had lying around the house. Yes, right again, purple.

Hopeless! But hopelessly wonderfully purple!

1 comment:

TuTu's Bliss said...

That is great fabric!!