11/03/2008

Sometimes we volunteer, or sometimes volunteering is thrust upon us...

I don't think anyone becomes a dance caller to make their fortune. I'm a dance caller for a number of reasons, but mainly because I want to help people discover the joy in dancing that I did at a critical stage in my life. And I'm beginning to hit this moment where I'm getting hired to do things. I love that.

But I'm also beginning to have these moments where ego meets reality, and it's left me with some dilemmas to puzzle through, mainly, is there ever a gig you say no to?

-I call for GCD once every couple of months. I get very little money for this, and it matters not at all. I love GCD with all of it's craziness. It's my home dance and I complain about it, but I support it, period.

-I teach at Swarthmore and get paid essentially a little gas and coffee money, and while in my head it's annoying because I know the college can afford more, I keep on because I love teaching in the college setting and working with the students, even though they think I'm old.

-I call for LCD this past weekend and make very little, but know going in that this will likely be the case. Fine.

-Any camp that hires me, if I'm that lucky, if they cover my travel, great. Call a dance out of town, ditto the travel thing, also great. Let's just hope I have the vacation time...

-Neffa. Total volunteer gig. I covet the opportunity every year, and fear that this is the year they'll say no.

All of these situations are clear in my head. And now I'm faced with a situation that I'm searching for reasons to say yes to.

-I won't get paid. I won't even get any discount on my admission.

-This year, I will have no teaching opportunity, just evening dance responsibility.

-It's for an organization I'm not a member of and don't have a reason to join.

-The organizers of the event don't think carefully about what goes into making a good, fun event for people outside their small circle of friends and admirers

On the other hand,

-This was my first camp, so I have some historical attachment to it

-Though none of my close friends will be there, there are lovely people I will enjoy seeing/dancing with/catching up with

-Though unlikely, there may be people with hiring power there which could lead to other gigs

-It IS nice to be asked to have a public role and remind people I exist in this genre from time to time, so maybe just suck it up and do it.

Sleep on it. Maybe it will be clear in the morning.

No comments: