11/04/2014

A Decent Cup of Tea

Last night I re-read after many years Malachi McCormick's slim volume from 1991, A Decent Cup of Tea.


I remember finding the book while I was in college on one of our very regular Friday night jaunts to the Barnes & Noble near school.  I bought a first copy as a gift, and on reading some of it before I bought it, had to buy a copy for myself.  Then, as now, I loved the the handmade feel of the book and the irregularly cut pages.  But the standout feature is the writing - easy to read, irreverent, and very human.

A Decent Cup of Tea was written for the same reasons I create dance workshops:  in response to a pet peeve.  McCormick was livid that even in London (at that time) you couldn't get a well-made cup of tea.  He found the same in his native Ireland, and especially in the US after he moved here.  This book was going to right that wrong.

The book was written before the rise in popularity of tea in this country - before there was a bubble tea fad, before everyone knew about the benefits of green tea, and before white tea was ever available outside of specialty stores.  McCormick very deliberately sticks to black teas and gives a brief synopsis of their history and spread in popularity from east to west.  He finishes his history chapter with the attempts to establish tea plants in the US, and effort that is still on-going.

The chapters go on through choosing a teapot, a few nice things to eat with tea, and the like, until we reach the climax:  the RIGHT way to make tea.  The chapter is 80% diatribe and 20% instruction, all sound, and no doubt convincing.

Although I am not nearly as vehement about my tea, I happen to agree with McCormick about the right way to drink tea, and certainly the right way to prepare it.  It's for all of the reasons that he states that I gave up drinking dining hall tea in college and switched to coffee.  Tea became the beverage we drank at night, every night, in the dorm, where we could be sure to prepare it the right way.

A few passages stood out in particular as I read last night:
  • In advocating for loose leaf tea, McCormick says, "Tea bag tea is safe tea.  Make mine loose."
  • He says that afternoon tea should be more of a social occasion than a meal.  Lighter fare is appropriate so it doesn't overpower the flavor of the tea.
  • Tea is something we do with and for our friends.
  • In another jab at tea bags:  "If we use tea bags, can we be said to have a future?"
 McCormick's final chapter is about reading tea leaves, something else I did quite a bit of in college, using this book and another as a guide.  He reminds us that tea leaf readings should be in response to questions or concerns, with the reader providing a frame and the beginning of the conversation.  It's the participatory nature of tea leaf readings that make them so much fun.

I discovered that Harney & Sons, purveyor of fine teas, have a Malachi McCormick blend called Decent Tea.  Now I want to try it.


 Next Week:  something seasonal before the autumn gets away from us - Holiday Pumpkins!

No comments: