6/03/2009

The strangeness of shoes...

Okay, this post is totally random...

In my bedroom tonight, I noticed 4 pairs of black shoes.



This in and of itself is not unusual. Clearly I wore them all in the not to distant past and kicked them off and didn't put the back where they live in an orderly way. This is also not unsusal.



Have you noticed something in common about each pair of shoes?



Yes, in every case, the left shoe was upright an the right shoe is over on its side. I'm sure this is full of meaning.



Discuss.

4 comments:

DebMoose said...

According to the Dictionary of Superstitions, either you're
1) trying to see your true love: at going to bed, put your shoes at right angles with each other … and say, ‘Hoping this night my true love to see, I place my shoes in the form of a T,’ OR
2) you're trying to stop a dog from howling, but are using the wrong shoe: ‘Pull off your left-foot shoe, and turn it; and it will quiet him [howling dog]. They won't howl three times after.’

Joanna said...

I knew someone would know! But neither is quite right: I don't think that was the right angle they had in mind in the first option, and as the feet are wrong, and as Baxter, the nearest dog still barks either too early, I don't think it can be the second one either.

But I'm still convinced something more loes there...

Melissa R. said...

I had a theory based on which shoe you remove first, and which foot helps the other out of which shoe, but the right shoe under the bureau or other item of furniture threw it totally off.

Joanna said...

I think in reality, this is what it is. I use my R toe against the heel of the L shoe to take it off, and it remains upright. I then turn my R ankle and with my L toe, take off the R shoe so that it's on its side.

Not romantic in any way, but nevertheless accurate...