4/27/2009

Aftermath...

One of the things about going to dance camps and weekends and festivals is that it's impossible to explain to anyone who wasn't there and who's never experienced it before what it was like - the intensity, whirlwind madness of it all, the non-stop reunions, the adrenylene highs that keep you going in spite of sleeplessness, inadequate caffiene and food intake, and aches in places you never knew you had.

This past weekend was Neffa, a fabulous festival in Mansfield, MA. It was all of the above and more.

(Picture by Robin Reid)

Today was a true day-after, similar to coming back to civilization after a week at dance camp. It feels odd that I didn't recognize people on the street and in the elevator like I did in the hallways of the school where Neffa happens. I wanted nothing more than to look at pictures of the festival, relive and rehash all of the moments, share stories, think about next year.

Reality will sink in after a few days, though I fear the next few home dances will fall a little flat in comparison. I will wash all of the dresses, finish unpacking before I repack it all for next weekend's adventure, and who knows, maybe even catch up on a little sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such an apt description!

--Jenny

Melissa R. said...

I admit to a wee small bit of wistfulness towards the usual let-down. Instead, I got more excitement than I wanted:
--during the festival, some confusion as the only friend in MD who had keys to my apt lost them, and thus we had to arrange a substitute to care for the cat. (The landlord obliged, yay. In future, I now know another friend has them in her *car*, not on her person.)
--a dead tree and all the wires to my apartment were lying on the front lawn when I returned last night. Electric is back, phone/'net are not, and Verizon promises valiantly to have them fixed by Monday, May 11 at 6 p.m. Uh, guys...
--a bank error to sort out. No fining me for your mistake! Boo!
--a dying raccoon on my back patio. I called the humane society and he did not care when they picked him up. Poor little fella. I hope his family is all well...