2/14/2013

Valentine's past...



Last February, I was very much looking forward to Valentine’s Day with my sweetie.  We were newly engaged, and this would be our first February 14th together.  But on February 13th, I had jury duty…

I’m called for jury duty regular as clockwork in Philadelphia County.  And this time I went in hoping for a quiet day and a nice lunch at Reading Terminal.  But no.  After sitting for most of the morning, I got called up for a panel.  And after more sitting, maybe interspersed with lunch, I got picked for a jury.  I was so angry.  Not dismayed, but actively furious.  I was on a jury once, and I hated it.  I felt that I was the one being held prisoner and forced to serve against my will.  I grumbled a lot and was extremely, stupidly resentful.

The next day, Valentine’s Day, I reported at the appointed hour and proceeded to wait with only a couple of others while supposedly, jury selection continued.  I sat, prepared for a long, horrid day, with only worse days to come.  And then…

Miracles!!!  Someone official came in and said that one of the attorneys was ill and they had to postpone the case.  We were released.  Free!!!  On Valentine’s Day! 

The fairy tale had a happy ending.  Home I flew, and shortly after came my sweetie, who had the afternoon off!!!  Instead of being cooped up in a jury room, I took a walk with the man I love and sat eating ice cream in the February sun.  Perfect.

This year we will cook and share a nice dinner, go to bed early, and read to each other with a fuzzy kitty cat at our feet.  Likewise perfect.

Happy Valentine’s Day!!

No comments: