1/15/2013

What's in a name...



For completely unknown reasons today, I started to think about our old set of dairy silverware.  I grew up in a house with a kosher kitchen where we had separate dishes, silverware, pots, and pans for meat and dairy.  We also had “good” dishes for each, and silver for holiday meals, which were meat meals.

I always liked our dairy silverware, which had an asymmetrical swirl pattern.  And in fact, I have the dairy silverware, packed up, in a box, in the corner cabinet in my dining room.  When Mom was selling the house I grew up in about fifteen years ago, and saving as little as possible, she gave me the silverware, which I knew I wanted to use someday.  It’s still in the box.

But, I do have a few pieces of the silverware among my mismatched pieces in the silverware drawer (which include an assortment of my grandmother's meat AND dairy sets!).  But admittedly, these two teaspoons and a tablespoon are not from my mother’s set.  When I first started going to Pinewoods in the mid-90s, the dining hall silverware was this fantastic, motley collection, much of which had “Bd of Ed., City of New York” engraved on the back.  Hidden in among these were three random pieces in that pattern I was so familiar with!  Let’s just say that they didn’t remain at camp, and leave it at that…

Using one of those teaspoons for my morning yogurt, I flipped it over, curious to know the name of the pattern.  And wouldn’t you know it doesn’t say, only the name of the manufacturer:  Simeon L & George H Rogers & Co Stainless.  But in these days of the internet, that’s plenty.  Google Images and Ebay found it for me in no time:  Paramount.


Time to open that box...

No comments: